HENDERSON — After pleading guilty to two counts of ammunition possession by a felon, a Henderson man authorities believe was involved in a shooting will serve nearly 20 years in federal prison.

Caleb Malik Batchelor, 23, received the sentence on Tuesday from U.S. District Court Judge James Dever III, a little more than nine months after agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives arrested him.

Prosecutors said Batchelor landed in trouble with federal authorities after an Oct. 18, 2020, shooting at the Highland Green apartment complex in Henderson.

They said he shot a woman there several times after the two got into a domestic dispute. The woman received life-threatening injuries, but survived.

Detectives recovered spent shell casings at the scene, and prosecutors say Batchelor bought more ammunition from a Henderson gun store on Nov. 18, 2020.

That led to the federal charges because Batchelor was a convicted felon, having received probation from a state court judge in September 2019 on two counts of possessing Schedule VI drugs. The most common Schedule VI drug by far is marijuana.

ATF, the Henderson Police Department and the Vance County Sheriff’s Office joined forces to investigate the case. A federal magistrate issued an arrest warrant for Batchelor on Nov. 24, 2020.

Court records indicate a grand jury handed up a four-count indictment on Dec. 16, 2020. The two ammunition-possession charges covered events on Oct. 18, the day of the shooting at Highland Green, and Nov. 18, the day of Batchelor’s visit to the gun store.

The other two counts accused him of firearms possession by a felon and possessing a stolen firearm.

Batchelor pleaded guilty to the ammunition charges on June 10. A court filing a week later indicated that there had been a plea agreement between him and prosecutors.

Judge Dever gave him 120 months on the Oct. 18, 2020, ammunition-possession charge and a further 115 months for the possession charge stemming from his purchase at the gun store. Dever specified that the sentences will run consecutively. He dismissed the firearms-possession and stolen-firearm charges.

Batchelor will also have to serve three years’ supervised release.

Dever concluded Tuesday’s hearing by instructing federal marshals to take Batchelor into custody.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons recommended sending him to the Butner prison, where among other things he will receive a mental-health assessment and treatment, substance-abuse assessment and treatment, and “vocational and education opportunities.”

Contact Ray Gronberg at rgronberg@hendersondispatch.com or by phone at 252-436-2850.

Contact Ray Gronberg at rgronberg@hendersondispatch.com or by phone at 252-436-2850.