A1 A1

Under the guidance of social worker Briana Gray (center), Oxford Prep eighth grade students spent the past week gathering materials to create Sunshine Boxes for the Granville County Senior Center. Students made flowers and wrote positive notes of encouragement and caring to be shared with senior citizens who have been homebound for the past year. Kathy May (left), senior services director, and Mrs. Angela Wright, senior services administrative officer (right) told the students that their work and kindness would be used to spread a bit of happiness to senior citizens throughout Granville County. Over this year, Granville County Senior Services have distributed more than 300 Sunshine Boxes.

Sunshine in a box


News
Major, two deputies indicted in sheriff's office car-forfeiture case
  • Updated

HENDERSON — Prosecutors have secured new indictments in a case involving the Vance County Sheriff’s Office that accuses its second in command and two deputies of conspiring to dodge North Carolina laws on civil asset forfeiture.

A grand jury handed up the indictments of Maj. Stephen O’Neal Staton, Deputy Purav J. Patel and Deputy Mitch Taybronn Pittman on April 14, but they remained sealed under a judge’s order until Monday.

On Tuesday, all three were booked at the Wake County Jail, according to a Twitter post by managers of that facility. Court documents indicate that all three received unsecured bonds, of $50,000 in Pittman’s case and $35,00 in Patel’s and Staton’s, that allowed them to go free.

The charges stem from an official-corruption investigation that’s unfolded since the summer of 2020, and that concerns allegations that narcotics deputies successfully pressured the owner of a 2007 Cadillac STS that had been involved in a car chase to sign it over to the sheriff’s office.

North Carolina law usually allows authorities to pursue asset forfeiture only after a person accused of a crime has been tried and convicted, and then under court supervision.

The proceeds are supposed to go to the K-12 schools.

Prior court filings have alleged that Staton tried to interest federal Homeland Security Investigations in seizing the car under federal asset-forfeiture law, which is less restrictive and allows local law enforcement agencies to share in the proceeds.

But officials with the federal agency told him that would be a “no-go” on its end because the car didn’t meet its “equity requirement” for a seizure.

The sheriff’s office went ahead anyway, with Pittman and Patel visiting a Virginia car dealer that had a lien on the vehicle and Staton talking with the car’s owner. The deputies also talked with the car owner the following day, with Pittman allegedly telling her she would otherwise face going to state prison and have to fight for the car in federal court.

Pittman was already facing charges — two of extortion and one of obstruction of justice in connection with the case and another involving a 2007 Infiniti G35. The charges against him in the April 14 indictment are in addition to those, District Attorney Mike Waters said.

In all, this month’s grand jury returned eight charges against each of the men. All but one are felonies.

Each faces counts of embezzlement by a government employee, conspiracy to embezzle by a government employee, motor vehicle title fraud, conspiracy to commit motor vehicle title fraud, accessing a government computer to defraud, conspiracy to access a government computer to defraud, and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Rounding out the list, Pittman faces a count of extortion, while Staton and Patel each face one of obstruction of justice.

The extortion charge against Pittman, who’s 47, concerns the alleged threat to the car’s owner, while the obstruction charge against Staton and Patel, who are 25 and 52, respectively, is about the alleged circumvention of the “judicial process proscribed for civil asset forfeiture.”

Pittman’s previous indictment had already addressed the circumvention point.

The embezzlement charges allege the Cadillac had been “seized as evidence” by the sheriff’s office “in a criminal case and held in trust until final disposition by the court.”

Prior court filings have alleged the car chase began when Sheriff Curtis Brame saw “what he believed to be a potential hand-to-hand drug transaction” being conducted from the Cadillac. The car was impounded, but Waters in his filings has said no drugs were found in the Cadillac or on the man driving it.

The conspiracy to commit motor vehicle title fraud charge against each of the men is a misdemeanor.

Waters said his office sought the investigation in June 2020 after receiving information about the seizure and transfer of the Cadillac. North Carolina’s State Bureau of Investigation and the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles’ License & Theft Bureau have led the probe.

An SBI agent, W.D. Marsh, used a search warrant in January to collect “electronic documents and data” from Vance County’s information technology office and with it had permission to look through emails, calendars, notes and other documents in the Staton’s work account.

Waters issued a statement that stressed the deputies, like all people accused of crimes, are innocent until proven guilty. But he also said he’s “concerned with the allegations” as “all allegations of wrongdoing by law enforcement are troubling, especially when they involve sheriff’s deputies in whom the community has placed its trust.”

“The justice system must be fair and impartial,” Waters said. “No one is above the law.”

Asked about the case, Sheriff Brame said he was drafting a statement, but he had not issued it as of press time on Tuesday evening.

Contact Ray Gronberg at rgronberg@hendersondispatch.com or by phone at 252-436-2850.


Yvonne Kersey (center), Cleophus Elam (middle) and Phyllis Elan (back) help put together bags for local children at Gang Free Inc. on Tuesday. Gang Free Inc. is assembling 1,700 bags that will be distributed to elementary schools in Vance County on Thursday.

Help for school kids


Archives
Granville Chamber continues search for new executive director
  • Updated

OXFORD — The Granville County Chamber of Commerce is ramping up efforts to find a new executive director following the retirement of Ginnie Currin in December.

Chamber President Cecilia Wheeler said that everything has been running smoothly since Currin’s departure but she is looking forward to finding a permanent replacement for the executive director position within the next few weeks.

“We currently have an interim director in Vanessa Jones,” Wheeler said. “She is holding that position while we conduct the search, which has just been reposted on Indeed and our chamber website and it will run through May 31.”

Wheeler knew that it would be difficult to replace someone who brought the experience and knowledge Currin possessed during her 23-year stint as the executive director, adding that everyone wanted to take their time in finding the ideal successor.

Another factor that has contributed to the delay in searching for an executive director has been the COVID-19 pandemic itself, as Wheeler said that whoever inherits the role will have to approach the job much differently than Currin because of the social changes.

Once the chamber properly reviews applications, a search committee consisting of board members will interview candidates for the job. Wheeler is confident that this process will allow the chamber to select the best person possible for the executive director position.

“We want someone that’s very energetic, business-oriented and has chamber experience,” Wheeler said. “They need to understand the value of membership and actively market the chamber and its member businesses.”

Wheeler affirmed that building and maintaining relationships within the chamber and in Granville County are the most important aspects of the executive director position, especially during a time when people need support due to financial struggles brought on by the pandemic.

“We’re a nonprofit and we are very dependent on membership and fundraising,” Wheeler said. “That’s how we are able to provide services for our members, which are very critical. We want to find someone committed to that.”

If everything goes according to plan, Wheeler said that the Chamber intends to announce the new executive director by July 1.


Archives
Medicine giveaway set for Friday
  • Updated

HENDERSON — NC MedAssist will give away over-the-counter medicines and other pharmacy items on Friday. All items will be free.

The giveaway will take place at the Salvation Army at 2292 Ross Mill Road from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Items will be distributed on a drive-through basis.

No identification is required, but a person must be 18 years or older to receive the items.

Individuals may receive items such as cold and cough remedies, flu medicine, pain relief, vitamins and children’s medicine.

Pre-registration is strongly encouraged by contacting NC MedAssist at www.medassist.org or by calling 866-331-1348.

The event is made possible by Henderson-based Triangle North Healthcare Foundation, a regional health care grant-making organization that encourages, supports, and invests in efforts designed to improve health in the Triangle North area. Its goals are achieved through funding strategic initiatives, programs and projects that focus on improving the health of residents of the region.

NC MedAssist is a nonprofit pharmacy that provides access to prescription medications and over-the-counter pharmaceutical supplies to qualified uninsured North Carolina residents. It is the only statewide nonprofit pharmacy in North Carolina.

This is the second pharmacy giveaway the organizations have held this year, but the history of similar events in the region goes back to 2015. The events have been held at different locations throughout the region to assure access to as many residents as possible.


Back