Face of American soccer left off World Cup roster
Leading scorer Landon Donovan was among seven players cut as the United States announced its 23-man World Cup squad on Thursday.
The 32-year-old attacker, bidding to make his fourth World Cup, was bypassed by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann in favor of Aron Johannsson and Chris Wondolowski, who joined Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey as the forwards.
Also cut were defenders Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst, midfielders Joe Corona and Maurice Edu, and forward Terrence Boyd.
Donovan has 57 goals in 156 international appearances and has been the face of American football for a decade, both with the national team and with Major League Soccer, where he has won five titles.
Donovan was a mainstay of the national team before he took a sabbatical of about four months after the 2012 season, spending part of the time in Cambodia. Klinsmann said Donovan would have to earn his spot back.
He recalled Donovan for last summer's Gold Cup, where Donovan excelled, and played Donovan for World Cup qualifiers. But Klinsmann kept him out of the starting lineup for last month's friendly against Mexico, saying Donovan practiced poorly because of a knee problem.
Donovan said this week his knee was OK.
"I'm very confident in my abilities and I'm deserving to be a part of the squad, but I have to prove that, and I have to earn it," he said on Monday.