Vikings, Knights play to hard-fought draw

Sep. 20, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Northern Vance played to a 3-3 draw Friday with non-conference opponent Northern Nash, earning a much different result from the teams’ previous meeting.

The Knights won that one 4-1, but Northern Vance jumped out to a 2-0 lead Friday and led 3-1 before the Knights rallied to tie the match in the 65th minute.

“They always have a good program and we’ve had some very competitive games,” said Northern head coach Razvan Tegean. “It’s a great game that we can use for the future to learn from.”

Tegean felt the Vikings (4-6-1) ran out of gas in the previous match and the same thing happened again Friday.

Lucas Hamrick put Northern up 3-1 when he knocked in the rebound of a Joseph Sharpe free kick in the 62nd minute.

But the Knights answered about 30 seconds later when Tyler Jones tapped in a Josh Collart cross.

Northern Nash equalized with a Jones penalty kick that was earned when the Vikings were whistled for a handball in the box.

The Knights controlled possession in the latter stages and Northern Vance goalkeeper Thomas Knight came up with few stops from close range.

Tegean said it was one of the best games his team has played this season.

Northern Nash has had Northern Vance’s number in recent years and Friday’s match was physical from the onset. 

“I think it was a great effort and good soccer,” said Tegean. “I have to give the boys a lot of credit for their teamwork tonight and of course the other team played hard to get back into the game.”

Northern Vance’s Irving Cheluca scored the game’s first goal about five minutes in on an assist from Sharpe.

“Great ball from Joseph,” said Tegean. “Great finish from running from outside the box, first-touch over the goalie.”

Reed Kimbrell made it 2-0 in the 20th minute when he slammed in a rebound shot stemming from a Viking throw-in.

Northern Nash cut the lead in half on a corner kick in the 51st minute.

The Vikings host Chapel Hill Monday.

Contact the writer at