Kentucky twin freshmen, UConn star heading to NBA
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky twin freshman guards Andrew and Aaron Harrison will return for a second season to a stocked Wildcats squad coming off an NCAA championship appearance.
Both had been mentioned as possible NBA first-round draft picks after leading Kentucky's march through the NCAA tournament. Aaron Harrison's clutch 3-pointers that beat Michigan and Wisconsin and put the Wildcats in the final were set up by feeds from point guard Andrew.
The twins said in a statement through the school were returning for another shot at the title. "Last year's run was special, but we still have unfinished business," Aaron said.
Added Andrew: "I'm returning for my sophomore season because I want to win a national title."
The Harrisons rejoin 7-foot centers Willie Cauley-Stein and Dakari Johnson and forwards Marcus Lee and Alex Poythress in returning to the Wildcats.
Their announcement was eagerly awaited after freshman forward Julius Randle's decision on Tuesday to enter the draft. His was expected along with guard James Young's declaration last week that he would turn pro.
Johnson and Poythress said Wednesday they would stay. With two days before the deadline to declare their draft intentions, the 6-foot-6 twins announced that they'd also come back and give Kentucky length and experience in the backcourt.
UConn's Daniels off to NBA, Boatright staying
STORRS, Conn. — National champion UConn is losing one junior star to the NBA draft, while another says he is staying with the Huskies.
The school announced Friday that forward DeAndre Daniels has filed the necessary paperwork with the NBA and will forgo his senior season of eligibility.
It also said that guard Ryan Boatright will return next season.
Daniels said he discussed the decision with his family and they all agreed it was time to turn pro. He said he had a great career at the school and "to go out on top like we did makes it even better."
Daniels averaged 13.1 points and 6.0 rebounds during the season, but 16.0 points and 7.2 rebounds during the Huskies' NCAA tournament run, improving his draft stock along the way.
McGary tests positive for marijuana, heads to NBA
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Michigan sophomore Mitch McGary is entering the NBA draft, saying he had little choice after testing positive for marijuana during an NCAA tournament he couldn't play in because of an injured back and because he was facing a one-year ban.
"I am ready to move on to the next stage in my life and enter the NBA draft," the 6-foot-10 McGary said in a statement released by the school Friday. "Being a part of a program that values integrity, it is important to let everyone know of a poor decision I recently made. I tested positive for marijuana during the NCAA tournament. We were notified of that result after the Final Four. I regret thoroughly disappointing my family, coaches and administration."
McGary was terrific in the 2013 tournament as a freshman, helping Michigan reach the national title game, where the Wolverines lost to Louisville. He considered jumping to the NBA then, but instead came back for his sophomore year and was a preseason All-American.
But McGary played only eight games this season. He was bothered from the start by a back problem and eventually had surgery. He was shut down shortly after a Dec. 14 matchup with Arizona.
It was unclear how his future would be impacted by the injury. Was his draft stock still high enough for him to leave, or would he need to come back to Michigan in 2014-15? McGary is old for his class, turning 22 in June, but his injury made his decision a difficult one — until the flunked drug test.
"I feel I'm ready, but this pushed it overboard," McGary told Yahoo Sports.