Fire displaces Henderson family of five

Sep. 06, 2013 @ 04:34 PM

A Henderson family was displaced from their Hargrove Street home Thursday night after a fire that is believed to have been caused by faulty wiring.

The call at 8:35 brought two fire engines and a rescue truck to 1324 Hargrove St. Danny Wilkerson, Henderson fire chief, said his crews had to put forward some tough firefighting because flames reached the attic area.

“The family living there had just gone out to get some dinner,” Wilkerson said. “They had just left. They said they had experienced some problems with the electricity. A majority of the damage was in a bathroom and into the attic.”

The home is registered to Bryan Stevenson, owner, with Frederick Williams as tenant. Williams told Wilkerson that he had a wife and three children to care for, but with everyone out at the time, there were no injuries.

“We called the American Red Cross because the family was displaced,” Wilkerson said.

The house itself had been valued at $77,466, and the fire caused about $35,000 damage, according to Wilkerson. Contents of the home estimated at $10,000 sustained about $5,000 damage, he added.

“I was very impressed with the job our firefighters did,” Wilkerson said, “especially considering the fact that the fire had gone into the attic. That is a closed-in area that can get very hot.”

Crews that included 14 firefighters stayed at the scene until 10:53 p.m. Fire investigators noted preliminary indications of possible wiring problems, Wilkerson said.

He said his office called Duke Energy Progress to look at the power hookup to the household system, in case there was a grounding wire problem or related issue.

“It appears the wiring situation may have contributed to it,” Wilkerson said. “There might have been an incorrect current.”

Contact the writer at mfisher@hendersondispatch.com.