Baker selected to chair
WARRENTON — Commissioner Bertadean Baker will serve as chairwoman of the Warren County Board of Commissioners for the coming year.
Her fellow commissioners elected her on Monday evening during an organizational meeting prior to the board’s regular monthly meeting. Jennifer Jordan was elected vice chairwoman.
Warren County Board of Education Chairwoman Roberta Scott and Assistant Superintendent Linda Mason presented a plaque to the board from the N.C. School Boards Association in recognition of the commissioners’ “outstanding support for public, elementary and secondary schools ... for establishing an excellent working relationship and for diligent effort toward creative funding of education.”
Karen Foster, administrator of the Community Development Block Grant Program for the Kerr-Tar Regional Council of Governments, recommended revising the Fair Housing Plan to include a regional fair housing workshop rather than attempting to work in conjunction with another community event to disseminate literature on fair housing to the public.
Foster also presented the report of an environmental review for the Water Hook-Up and Urgent Repair Projects. The commissioners approved both items.
At the request of Steve Winstead, district engineer with the N.C. Department of Transportation, the commissioners scheduled a public hearing for 5:45 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 4, 2013, to hear citizen’s comments regarding the 2012-13 DOT Secondary Road Program.
The commissioners made the following appointments:
• Parks and Recreation Commission: Danielle L. Williams.
• Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity Board of Directors: Commissioners Baker and Ruby Downey.
• Arcola Volunteer Fire Department Firefighters’ Relief Fund Board for 2013: Lynn Capps Martin.
• Voting delegate to the N.C. Association of County Commissioners legislative goals conference: Commissioner Ulysses Ross.
On the recommendation of Parks and Recreation Director Dickie Williams, the board voted to add the Buck Spring Park Project to the Warren County Parks & Recreation master plan.
The board also approved Williams’ request to apply for a N.C. Parks and Recreation Trust Fund grant. To meet the $49,828 local 50/50 match requirement, the commissioners designated $13,213 to come from the Buck Spring Trail grant and the remaining $36,615 to come from the county’s fund balance.
At the request of Emergency Services Director Doug Young, the commissioners approved a contract between the Warren County and Palmer Springs Volunteer Fire Department in Virginia for fire protection, effective July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2015, with an annual allocation of $2,000.
In other business, the board:
• Approved an amendment to the water tower lease agreement between Warren County and CELLCO Partnership doing business as Verizon Wireless.
• Approved a final change order to the construction contract for District 3, Phase II Water Project, resulting in a decrease of $82,286.93 in the contract price.
• On a 3-1 vote, approved $4,000 per month compensation for the interim director of the Department of Social Services. Commissioner Barry Richardson voted nay. As a member of the DSS board, Commissioner Jordan abstained from voting.
• On a 4-1 vote, appointed Commissioner Baker to the DSS board. Commissioner Richardson voted nay.
• Adopted 2013 schedules for regular monthly meetings and work sessions.
• Scheduled a budget goal-setting work session from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for Jan. 16, 2013, at the Armory Civic Center.
Contact the writer at email@example.com.