Shoot-out defendant pleads guilty
One of the four co-defendants charged in connection with the February 2013 shooting death of 17-year-old Ja’Quon Ty’Ree Seward pleaded guilty to assault with a deadly weapon intent to kill.
Daquan Marcus Ortiz was indicted on a charge of voluntary manslaughter but pleaded to a lesser charge in Vance County Superior Court on Tuesday before Judge J.C. Cole.
He received a minimum active sentence of 20 months and maximum 33 months, or about 1.5 to 3 years in prison.
Corey Demel Cheek Jr., Gary Treshon Holden, Remeke Holden, and a 14-year-old juvenile were also charged in the Feb. 21, 2013, fatal shooting.
Cheek, Gary Holden and Remeke Holden are facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, discharging a firearm in the city, felony inciting a riot, and felony gang pattern activity. An unnamed juvenile defendant has also been charged in this case.
Seward’s mother and father were present for the hearing Tuesday.
Ortiz apologized directly to Seward’s mother Lakeisha Eaton for what had happened to her son.
Assistant District Attorney Allison Capps said Ortiz had been involved with the Shotta gang at least one year prior to the shooting.
Cheek, Gary Holden, Remeke Holden and Seward were Shotta members when the incident occurred, Capps said.
“Ortiz and members of the Shottas had been passing texts back and forth,” she said. “And on this particular day, Ortiz walked down Davis Street onto Nicholas Street to the convenience store located down there.”
When he passed a group of Shottas on the corner of Davis Street and Nicholas Street, the two parties exchanged words, Capps said.
Ortiz returned from store and went back to his home, at which point Seward came over to the area where Ortiz lived and more words were exchanged, she said.
At that point, Ortiz shot Seward, shots came from down street and Ortiz returned fire, she said.
The cases against Cheek, Gary Holden and Remeke Holden are still pending.
Contact the writer at email@example.com.