Extended filing period for Middleburg closes
Vance County has its ballots for municipal elections Tuesday, Oct. 8, and Tuesday, Nov. 5.
Middleburg’s extended filing period closed at noon Friday, with elections director Faye Gill reporting no additional filings.
The mayor’s race will include challenger Dean Dickerson and incumbent Ray Bullock.
The commissioners’ race includes challenger D.L. Dusty Herring and incumbents Annie Fudge, Ruth Nance and Gary Plummer.
Because the races for mayor and three commissioner seats had only two candidates for commissioner, the Vance County Board of Elections opted to extend the filing period. Another option was to take the highest vote total for a write-in nomination.
The two mayoral candidates, Fudge and Nance filed between July 5 and July 19. Herring and Plummer signed up Monday. Citizens will elect a mayor and three commissioners.
Henderson goes to the voting booths on Oct. 8, while Middleburg and Kittrell go on Nov. 5. Municipalities in Granville and Warren counties also vote on the traditional first Tuesday in November.
Henderson residents will elect four City Council seats. In the communities of Kittrell, Middleburg, Oxford and Stovall in Granville County, and in the Warren County towns of Warrenton, Norlina and Macon, each will elect a mayor and either part or all of their commissions.
• In Henderson, at-large Ward 1 candidates are incumbent Sara Coffey and Charles Douglas; at-large Ward 2 includes incumbent Mike Inscoe and Arnold Frank Booth Jr.; Ward 3 includes incumbent Garry Daeke, Melissa Elliott and Geraldine Champion; and Ward 4 includes incumbent Vernon Brown and Fearldine Simmons.
• In Kittrell, the ballot includes incumbent Jerry Jones for mayor, and commissioner hopefuls Susan Pulley, Betsy Simpson and Jason Green. Pulley and Simpson are incumbents. Three commissioners will be elected.
• In Oxford, mayoral candidates include incumbent Jackie Sergent, former N.C. Rep. Jim Crawford Jr. and Howard Herring Sr. The commissioner field for four seats includes incumbents Ron Bullock, Danny Currin and C.J. Harris, and challengers Patricia Fields, former judge Quon Bridges, Eddie Dalton and Eddie McCoy.
• In Stovall, incumbent mayor Jane Parrott and incumbent commissioners Marshall Roberts and Tim Davidson filed. Two commissioner seats will be elected.
• In Warrenton, incumbent Walter Gardner Jr. is challenged by Tim Ennis, the chamber director, in the race for mayor. The chase for three commissioner seats includes incumbents Kimberly Harding and Mary Hunter, and challengers Robert Schuerch, Deborah Speer, Selena Mooring, E.T. Malone Jr., Tom Hardy and Jana Miller.
• In Norlina, incumbent Dwight Pearce is challenged by Ricky Davis for mayor. The race for five commissioner seats includes incumbents Lou Stultz, Scooter Edwards, Bill Harris, Jimmy Overby and Sonny Peoples, along with challengers Hector Wayne Aycock and Dorsey Capps.
• And in Macon, Robert Evans is seeking re-election as mayor, and the race for five commissioner seats includes incumbents Wanda Thompson, David Harris, Benny Hilliard and Glenn Riggan, and challenger Joanne Reese.
Contact the writer at email@example.com.