Holden’s story to police changed

Mar. 28, 2014 @ 08:44 PM

For the first time since the trial began, jurors heard Jaquareus “Quez” Holden tell his version of events.

In Vance County Superior Court on Friday, jurors watched two separate videotaped interviews of Holden being questioned by the police. One interview happened on the night of June 15, 2011, when Holden’s mother was shot to death in her 710 S. Carolina Ave. home. The second interview took place two days later on June 17.

Holden’s mother, Letitia R. Hammond was shot six times; he was 15 at the time.

In his first interview with police, Holden said he went to his cousin’s house that day around noon.

He told officers he left his cousin’s house on South Williams Street in Henderson to go to where his girlfriend lived.

After that, he said he returned to his cousin’s house and then went back to his home at 710 S. Carolina Ave. around 8 p.m. At that point, Holden said he discovered his mother dead in the home.

During the first interview, Holden described his relationship with Hammond as “rocky.”

Holden admitted his mother had contacted an agent from juvenile services because he broke his 8 p.m. curfew twice.

When the teen was called back for the second interview, the police officer told him there was evidence contradicting his initial story.

During the second interview, Henderson Police Detective Alan Simmons said he knew Holden’s girlfriend was at his house that day.

“Right now, it’s not looking good because the versions keep changing,” Simmons said in the video.

He tells Holden repeatedly that he knows he is lying about what happened.

Holden gives different explanations in the second interview for why there might be gun residue on his clothes and hands.

At point, he said he was standing next to a friend, who discharged the gun. Later, he said he shot the gun in the street but gave it back to the friend.

Holden said the gun came from his cousin and then later he said it came from a friend.

The gun used in Hammond’s death was never located by detectives.

The video of Holden’s second interview is expected to continue Monday.

Contact the writer at smansur@hendersondispatch.com.