Contest builds love of math
Competition had never been more fun.
Elementary students visiting Southern Vance High School on Thursday fought to be named the top math performer in the county.
Mu Alpha Theta and Southern Vance Math Club complied a 30-question individual exam and an eight-problem, two-part group exam for 85 elementary school students in the testing battle.
The purpose of the event was to build a love for math and get students ready for end-of-grade tests, according to Southern Vance Mu Alpha Theta and Math Club advisor Jameil Floyd said.
“The test is tailored to the Common Core,” he said.
Students from eight of the county’s elementary schools participated fielding 15 teams.
Students tested quietly as 32 high school proctors monitored and guided their charges to find the answers.
“It takes a lot to organize and develop a competition,” Mu Alpha Theta co-prime Stanton Fields said. This was his first time administering a math competition since being elected to lead the math club last year. “I hope they take a lot from this. It provides them the skills they need for middle school.”
After the event, teams and individual students were recognized for their performance.
Individual awards went to the 10 students with the highest scores:
• First place: Garland Catlette of Henderson Collegiate.
• Second place: Kaziyah McCauley of Clarke Elementary.
• Third place: Aaron Labra of Clarke Elementary.
• Fourth place: Jorge Gomez of Clarke Elementary.
• Fifth place: Jerell Boyd of Clarke Elementary.
• Sixth place: Yumyah Williams of Clarke Elementary.
• Seventh place: Amarius Evans of Henderson Collegiate.
• Eight Place: Emma Keefer of Aycock Elementary.
• Ninth Place: Brenda Tavera of Henderson Collegiate.
• Tenth Place: Dustin Pulley of Zeb Vance.
The top three teams were awarded for the group exam:
• First place: Roaring Tigers of E.O. Young Elementary.
• Second place: Math Pros of Clarke Elementary.
• Third place: Aycock Warriors of Aycock Elementary.
The Roaring Tigers received a perfect score in the group competition.
Clarke Elementary School received the plaque this year for the best scores of top individuals and best average team scores.
Contact the writer at email@example.com.