High school students complete program, make presentation
OXFORD — Six rising high school sophomores gave the Granville County Board of Commissioners an inside look at county operations during the commissioners’ meeting on Monday evening.
Marcus Agdeppa, Casey Bailey, Jae’Lon Harrison, Lydia Hendrick, Mikayla Hoyle and Danyea Turner have spent the last five weeks rotating through county departments as participants in the Granville County Civic Leadership Program. They gave a presentation to share their experiences with the commissioners and highlight their learnings about county government.
When their presentation was concluded, each student received a $1,000 check and a plaque recognizing their participation.
In regular business, the board approved the purchase of a rain cover for the municipal solid waste landfill from Chesapeake Containment Systems at a cost not to exceed $48,640. The need for the rain cover was necessitated by the abnormally wet conditions this spring and summer. The rain cover will divert rainwater into a ditch rather than into the storage and treatment system. Chesapeake Containment Systems provided the lower of two bids received.
The commissioners awarded a brush grinding contract to Guy Shavender Trucking in the amount of $7,183 to do the work at the county’s Oxford site and $18,742 at the Butner site.
The board approved a cooperative service agreement with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to assist the county in developing a management plan to reduce the attraction of wildlife to the county landfill and to reduce potential safety hazards. The agreement is for $6,975. It will begin on Sept. 15 and expire on Sept. 13, 2015.
The board adopted a resolution of recognition and appreciation of Lisa Harrison, director of the Granville-Vance District Health Department. In May, Harrison was honored by the Public Health Leadership Program at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health when she was named the recipient of the Arnold D. Kaluzny Distinguished Alumnus Award for 2013.
The commissioners recognized Sylvia V. Cates for her 33 years of service to the Granville County Department of Social Services.
Candice Murray, community manager for the American Cancer Society, gave a presentation on a Cancer Prevention Study and issued an appeal for volunteers to participate in the study. Individuals between 30 and 65 years of age who have never been diagnosed with cancer can participate. Participants will be asked to complete mailed questionnaires every three to five years to update the researchers on lifestyle, environmental and medical information. Individuals can sign up at:
• Masonic Home for Children, 600 College Street, Oxford.
• South Henderson Pentecostal Holiness Church, 905 Americal Road, Henderson.
• Warrenton Rural Fire Department, 238 S. Main Street, Warrenton.
• Butner Town Hall, 415 Central Avenue, Butner.
More information can be obtained online at cancer.org/cps3 or by calling (888) 604-5888.
The board approved writing a letter of support for Granville-Vance District Health Department’s effort to obtain a grant for a hospice home health care project.
The board made the following appointments or reappointments:
• Greenway Technical Committee: Mike Ciriello.
• Granville County Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee: Andy Power and Michael McFadden.
The commissioners approved the purchase of nine Dodge Chargers for the Sheriff’s Office at a total cost of $205,686. Funds for the vehicles are included in the 2013-2014 budget.
In other business, the commissioners:
• Received a clarification from County Manager Mike Felts that, although he is licensed as a certified public accountant in the state of Oklahoma, he does not use the CPA designation in the state of North Carolina.
• Recommended continuing discussions with the Veterans Memorial Committee about the placement of a memorial at the Granville County Expo and Convention Center.
• Approved a deed of easement by which the town of Butner and Granville County will grant to the South Granville Water and Sewer Authority a permanent easement on South Campus Drive for the installation and operation of utility systems.
Contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.