Trustees approve $2.4 million budget for 2014-'15

Mar. 17, 2014 @ 08:40 PM

The Vance-Granville Community College Board of Trustees approved a $2.4 million budget for fiscal year 2014-'15, which is an increase of more than $200,000 from last year’s budget.

The budget includes $1.5 million funding for the college’s main campus, $311,390 for South Campus, $208,372 for the Warren campus and $369,168 for the Franklin campus.

The 2014-'15 budget, presented at the board’s meeting Monday night, is contingent upon approval from county commissioners in Vance, Granville, Warren and Franklin counties.

Vance County supplies 75 percent of funding for the main campus, and Granville County covers the remaining 25 percent.

Vance commissioners would need to approve a $1,109,339 allocation to the college for fiscal year 2014-'15.

Granville commissioners would need to approve $714,543.

Warren commissioners would need to approve $214,372, and Franklin commissioners would need to approve $389,168.

VGCC Finance Director Steven Graham said he and college president Stelfanie Williams have scheduled meetings with the local county managers and finance directors to present the budget allocations.

In other business:

• The VGCC board of trustees approved amendments to its Tobacco-Free College policy to include electronic cigarettes and vapor pipes in its definition of tobacco products.

• The VGCC board of trustees approved a resolution strongly urging the N.C. General Assembly to support the state’s economic recovery by reinvesting about $36.8 million in the state’s community colleges.

Contact the writer at smansur@hendersondispatch.com.