January murder trial date set for teenager

Dec. 12, 2013 @ 09:24 PM

Jaquareus Thomez Holden is scheduled for a jury trial on Jan. 6 in the first-degree murder case charging the teenager with killing his mother June 15, 2011.

Holden appeared in Vance County Superior Court this week. Judge Robert Hobgood signed orders, including a Tuesday motion for evidence to be presented to Allison Capps, the assistant district attorney prosecuting the case.

Holden was 15 when arrested for the shooting death of Letitia Renee Hammond, 33, in the 710 S. Carolina Ave. home where they both lived.

Capps in court on Monday said all six tests from the State Bureau of Investigation, which delayed a possible trial in November, had been completed.

Both sides, including defense attorney Paul Stainback, have been bolstering their arguments and seeking information.

The latest move this week included Capps receiving documents from juvenile court, specifically Terry Satterwhite, a counselor.

According to Capps, Satterwhite met with Hammond and Holden about a week before Hammond died. Hammond had indicated to juvenile justice officials that there were problems with Holden, and he was placed under juvenile justice department supervision.

One issue was an allegation that Holden took and was keeping a .32 caliber handgun from Timothy Kingsberry, a live-in boyfriend of Hammond.

Capps stated in the motion document, “Hammond was killed with a .32 caliber handgun.”

On Wednesday, Capps filed notice she would be presenting evidence of “other crimes, wrongs or acts,” at trial, in keeping with state rules.

Satterwhite had indicated earlier this year he would be presenting alibi testimony. In October, he released a list of four named alibi witnesses as ordered following a motion by Capps.

Satterwhite moved for documents on a possible plea or immunity deal involving Bria White, who testified at the closed Aug. 22, 2011, probable cause hearing in Vance County Juvenile Court. That hearing resulted in the case moving forward for trial in Superior Court.

According to Satterwhite, White claimed “she was present or in the house where and when Letitia Hammond was shot on June 15, 2011.”

Satterwhite asserts that this means White was an accessory before and after the fact “by her admission,” and she should have been charged in the murder “if her story is to be believed.”

To date, no charges have been filed against White. Satterwhite sought information on any deal, especially immunity, that may have been offered in exchange for her testimony.

No information from prosecutors about White is included in the clerk of court’s files on the case.

Capps handed over to Satterwhite a complete copy of a 41-page police incident report in response to his complaint that he had only received certain pages.

Requested evidence through the years since the shooting occurred include early provisions of time sheets, time cards and other employment related information for Timothy Kingsberry, interview notes of emergency responders and a sketch of the house where the shooting occurred.

Other evidence came from several searches, one of the home where Hammond died and another of a 2006 Mazda 6 sedan linked to the household.

Court clerks said the documents on those searches and all other juvenile case files are not available as part of the case file in Superior Court even though the case was transferred.

Other evidence items mentioned in case files include Verizon and Sprint cellphone records, Holden’s statements to police and scientific data that include the SBI chemical tests and lab reports.

According to autopsy reports, Hammond was shot multiple times at close range in the kitchen and hall areas of her home.

Orders for a $250,000 bond in the case include no contact with witnesses, namely White, according to a statement signed by District Court Judge Henry Banks. Holden is also barred from the premises of 710 S. Carolina Ave.

As of Oct. 31, Holden was in custody at Guilford County Youth Detention Facility, about 100 miles from Henderson.

A bond release document stated the Vance County Jail originally released Holden into the custody of Durham Youth Home.

The Superior Court case file does not contain information on bond surety or payment for release.

An autopsy report indicates Hammond was first shot in the kitchen, then she died soon after reaching the hallway nearby. One of the shots was fired at close enough range to the side of her head to cause burns around the entry wound.

One of Hammond’s two daughters found her body a couple hours after Hammond died, according to an investigative report signed by Dr. James Goodwin.

Police reports pointed to a time of about 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. that Hammond died.

Contact the writer at mfisher@hendersondispatch.com.