Farmers market guidelines under consideration

Mar. 09, 2014 @ 12:27 AM

The Vance County Board of Commissioners will vote Monday on vendor guidelines and preliminary facility use guidelines for the Vance County Regional Farmers Market.

The proposed vendor guidelines state that the Farmers Market is open to vendors from Vance, Franklin, Warren and Granville counties and Mecklenburg County in Virgina.

Vendors from other North Carolina counties will be considered on a space available basis, according to the proposed vendor guidelines.

The vendor guidelines establishes a $30 application fee, due a minimum of three business days prior to their first sale day each market year, which runs January through December.

The proposed guidelines requires that vendors grow or craft at least 51 percent of any merchandise sold and the remaining 49 percent must be grown or crafted regionally, unless it is not in season or not grown regionally.

It also establishes regular market hours on Wednesday and Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., but those hours could be adjusted due to holidays.

The proposed guidelines lists the following items approved for sale:

• Fresh and dehydrated vegetables, fruits, herbs, and nuts;

• Flowers (fresh or dried), potted plants, trees;

• Farm-­raised meat, farm-­raised dairy and seafood;

• Baked goods prepared by the vendor;

• Preserved foods such as jams and jellies;

• Honey;

• Eggs;

• Craft items made by the vendor; and

• Wine produced by the vendor.

The proposed facility-use guidelines sets a license fee for outside groups at $200 for up to four hours or $400 for up to eight hours.

The licensees must also pay a $100 security deposit that would be refunded if the building and grounds are found clean and undamaged after use, the proposed facility use guidelines state.

The proposed vendor guidelines could be approved by the commissioners Monday night, but the facility-use guidelines have to be referred to the commissioners’ property committee for further consideration.

Contact the writer at