Anti-violence vigil disrupted; four people shot

Sep. 07, 2013 @ 06:35 AM

CHARLOTTE — Four people were shot and wounded when gunfire broke out at an anti-violence vigil near downtown Charlotte, police said.

Mothers of Murdered Offspring sponsored the Thursday night vigil, calling attention to the death of a man who police say was fatally shot when he allegedly tried to rob a convenience store.

A statement from police says officers were called by someone at the vigil who said a person pulled a gun and began firing at people.

Officers found no one shot at the scene but learned that each victim had called for help from a different location after the crowd scattered.

As of Friday afternoon, there had been no arrests in the case. Police announced they were offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest of a suspect.

The vigil shootings were the latest to plague North Carolina's largest city. Between Aug. 29 and Sept. 5, five people were shot and killed in Charlotte, three of them last Sunday.

A statement from police on Friday said an intruder shot when he and another person kicked in the door of a home died at a local hospital. The victim was identified as 17-year-old Jamal Antonio Haynes.

Authorities said Haynes was taken to Carolinas Medical Center after he was shot in the home Thursday evening. The search continues for the second intruder, police said.