Offices in Charlotte cleared of wrong-doing in teen's shooting death

Nov. 12, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

CHARLOTTE — An investigation has concluded two Charlotte police officers did nothing wrong when they shot and killed a teen during an undercover drug deal earlier this year.

Mecklenburg District Attorney Andrew Murray has told Police Chief Rodney Monroe that a State Bureau of Investigation review found no wrongdoing by the officers.

"Consequently, this office will not pursue criminal charges against either officer in this matter," Murray said.

Jaquaz Walker, 17, died June 18 after he was shot as he tried to rob a police informant during a drug buy.

Walker's family had requested an investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation.

During a vigil after Walker's death, his aunt, Deborah Walker, said police had gone too far. "Everyone deserves a second chance, and my nephew will never get that," she said.

Police had targeted what they said were two gang members for a drug buy but the targets of the investigation tried to rob the informant when the shooting occurred.