Embattled secretary believes federal deadline has been met
RALEIGH — North Carolina's health secretary says she believes the state has "reasonably achieved" the goal of meeting a federal deadline to resolve a backlog of food stamp applications although some cases are still pending.
Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos said Tuesday that a backlog that stood at 350,000 cases at its peak was down to 375 applications and recertifications. That includes 195 cases in Guilford County, where state officials discovered last week that 8,100 cases hadn't been entered into the state system.
Wos says counties report the cases are pending with good cause.
The USDA has threatened the loss of $88 million to continue administering the program unless the state met the March 31 deadline to erase the backlog. North Carolina has more than 825,000 cases statewide.