Eight awaiting murder trials
Vance County prosecutors have about a dozen trial-week opportunities in 2013 for resolving 2012 arrests in murder cases against 11 defendants.
The cases may be resolved by a plea deal, a dismissal of charges or through a trial by jury. Not all of the murders in 2012 have resulted in arrests by Henderson police of Vance County deputies.
• The grand jury for Vance County Superior Court in December certified a first-degree murder case against Quatrail Pair, 23, of Henderson, charged in the Dec. 11 shooting death of Deonte Judkins, a 16-year-old Northern Vance High School student, on Walter Street. Pair remained jailed without bond on Monday.
• Clifton Morris Hammond, 26, remained jailed under a $25,000 bond Monday on a second-degree murder charge for the Oct. 26 blunt-force death of his brother Antonio Fitzgerald Hammond, 33, at Scottish Inns on North Garnett Street.
• The December grand jury indicted Darnell Thomas Macon, 23, and LaJohn Laquan Champion, 22, both of Henderson, in the Oct. 20 shooting death of 25-year-old Gregory Welfare of Raleigh near Springwood Apartments and the intersection of Thomas Street with Young Avenue. Both remained jailed without bond on Monday.
• The grand jury in November delivered an indictment for first-degree murder against Darius Montrael “Gang” Benson, 25, of Henderson, charged in the Aug. 4 shooting death of 50-year-old Curtis Morton at Morton’s Hamilton Street home. Benson remained jailed without bond on Monday.
• Arthur Thomas Peace Jr., 20, of Henderson, is charged with first-degree murder in the July 4 shooting death of 14-year-old Clayton Demond Batchelor Jr., who was gunned down while riding his bike on Williams Street. Peace remained jailed Monday under a $300,000 bond.
• Steven Gregory Talley, 20, of Henderson, faces a murder charge in the April 13 chopping death of his uncle, Robert Elmo Talley Jr., 57, at the Abbott Road residence where Robert Talley was a visitor during a family altercation. Steven Talley had been held under a $100,000 cumulative bond after an additional strangulation charge that stemmed from an incident days after his release on bond.
• LaMichael Grant, 22, of Henderson, is charged with murder in the March 12 shooting death of Avone Fouch near Party Pickup on West Rockspring Street. At latest report, he received a $250,000 bond. Case arguments include defense claims that the police arrested the wrong man and prosecution claims that Grant came behind Fouch, shot point-blank through the back near 20 to 30 potential witnesses.
• Police charged three with murder in the Jan. 5 robbery shooting death of Alfred Eugene Henderson, 23, found dead in his 129 Oak Tree Lane home. Xavier Donte Sellers, 22, of Henderson, Rasheed Taimeek Kearney, 26, of Warrenton and Marcus Terrell Richardson-Brown, 22, of Greensboro, received bond set at $250,000 or more at latest reports.
Contact the writer at email@example.com.