Summer camp now accepting applications
Anyone interested in alternative to finding a baby sitter during the summer? Well, applications for the Young Lions Summer Enrichment Camp at the Vance County Learning Center are currently being accepted for children throughout the Tri-County area.
Running from June 10-Aug. 16, camps will be conducted on a week-by-week basis, Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Children can participate during multiple weeks.
Activities may include: reading, writing and spelling exercises; painting; ice skating; computer skills; math games; crafts; face painting; lake outings; horseback riding; and a zoo trip. Each week, activities will vary.
The registration fee is $75 per week. This fee is all inclusive (meals, snacks, a T-shirt, field trip expenses, craft materials).
For families, members can register together at $50 per person. Those interested should also enquire about scholarships.
Each day, participants will do the following: 8 a.m., breakfast; 9 a.m., morning walk (preceded by briefing on Monday); noon, lunch; 5 p.m., departure. The rest of the weekly schedule is as follows:
• Monday — 10 a.m., craft project; 11 a.m., reading w/tape recorder; 1 p.m., self-esteem workshop; 2 p.m., crafts; 3 p.m., physical education; 4 p.m., audio visual presentation
• Tuesday — 10 a.m., math; 11 a.m., crafts; 1 p.m., Spanish; 2 p.m., journal; 3 p.m., English; 4 p.m., physical education
• Wednesday — 10 a.m., trip planning session; 11 a.m., journal; 1-4 p.m., field trip
• Thursday — 10 a.m., craft project; 11 a.m., social studies; 1 p.m., guest (to present skill or talent); 2 p.m., journal; 3 p.m., English; 4 p.m., fun quiz
• Friday — 10 a.m.-noon, review of all subjects; noon-4 p.m., learning games with prizes
The learning center (pre-K to 16) is located at 317 S. Garnett St., Henderson. Call (252) 438-6900 or 432-4117.