Meeting of Daisette Youth encompasses all things Easter
On March 14, members of the Daisette Youth Garden Club met for their monthly meeting.
The devotion, “On the Wings of Prayer,” from the book, “Loving Promises,” written by Helen Steiner Rice, was read by Briana Martin; afterward, the group recited “A Garden Club Prayer.” The business session followed, presented by Nyasia Miller, with special recognition given to the recent achievements of club members.
Presenting her program on Easter, Miller posed the question: “Why Do We Celebrate Easter?” During this time she shared the following information:
• A Christian holiday, Easter did not fall on a specific date or day of the week prior to 325 A.D.
• The holiday celebrates Jesus Christ’s resurrection, occurring on the third day of his crucifixion.
• Easter Day, or Easter Sunday, is celebrated by Christians two days after Good Friday and three days after Maundy Thursday.
• It marks the end of Lent, a period of fasting.
• Easter egg hunts and the Easter Bunny are relatively recent developments in the history of the holiday.
Following a Easter-themed word search, Miller instructed the group on how to make an Easter egg basket using construction paper, decals and silk flowers.
After members sang “Happy Birthday” to fellow member Navin Chavis, the meeting concluded with the reciting of the Youth Pledge.